Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kindergarten has come...FINALLY!

With much anticipation, Ryder's first day of Kindergarten was today! It was a little hectic for me this morning. Brian worked a shift at the North County Fire Station today, so he was gone before we got up. I had to get the whole gang ready and out the door on time. It is nice to have Brian at home on mornings like these and I surely missed him. I guess I'll have to get used to it.


Here he is ready to go into his classroom with flowers in hand for his teacher. It is important to make a good first impression, you know, (especially if you're a rambunctious little boy). Just as I expected he went right in with no worries and as with Chase I had to remind him to say good bye and give me a kiss, (well and Ashtyn too). I feel very comfortable with him at Bethlehem Christian, I get such a warm feeling there and I'm sure he must feel it too. His teacher, Mrs. Ramich has been teaching there for years, however this is the first that we've had her. Having been taking Chase and Ryder to this school for going on our 5th year, the anxiety of the first day is minimal and I was really just very excited for him. But as I walked him up to the door I did have a moment of sadness. Watching him walk into the classroom I thought, now two of my babies have moved on to new experiences in their lives. No more are the toddler days, Ryder is now a -full day-grade schooler. They no longer need me quite the same way as before. He was so proud to be on his way and pretty much had the same attitude when I went to pick him up. So far so good. He reported to me that he ate all his lunch, had 3 recesses and received a gold star sticker for good behavior. What more could I ask for?
Just a few weeks ago I called him, "baby" and he told me that he was NOT a baby, he was a big boy! I said to him, "I know you're a big boy, but you'll still always be Mommy's baby". And after a moment of thought, he reluctantly said, "OK". He can be so fiercely stubborn and some moments can be terribly challenging with him. At the end of the day he will always be my baby no matter how old he gets. He still will crawl into bed with me at night occasionally and I have such a hard time saying no. With all of the running and jumping and energy that he usually has, it is only at those times that he is calm and will snuggle up close and quietly sleep next to me. I wouldn't say that he is a mama's boy though, (as much as I try). He tries as hard as he possibly can to do and be just like Brian. And even if he isn't trying, he is definitely his father's son through and through. With Ryder, my new motto is this: embrace the quirks!

No comments: